Meeting Minutes

March 2016 Meeting Minutes

Indian Springs Village Association (ISVA)

Monthly Board Meeting, March 08, 2016

The Woodlands Township Offices, 2801 Technology Forest Blvd.

MINUTES 

Attendance:

Board Members: Mike Arendes, Kelly Sharer, Bev Wallery, Matt Pounders, Ken Schumann, Michael Saucier, Jim Merritt, Richie Spurlock, Russell Heinen, Shanna Davis

Residents:  Brittany and Matt Nichols, Lloyd Matthews, Russ Gifford

Elected Officials and Candidates: Gordy Bunch

Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office: Deputy Jason Hopper

The Woodlands Township: John Osborne

Call to Order: 7:05pm  Steve Lakey called the meeting to order.  (Joint meeting with Alden Bridge Village Association).

Law Enforcement Report – Deputy Jason Hopper gave a crime prevention report.

Guest Speakers:

Gordy Bunch, a member of The Woodlands Township Board of Directors, spoke about the Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB). The CVB is funded by hotel taxes. Township Board approves the CVB budget. The CVB is focusing on marketing and advertising including the use of technology to increase both hotel tax revenue and sales tax revenue. The Township has recently been reviewing the events that the CVB hosted to determine which ones were relevant to continue. The CVB now sponsors the key events that align with the CVB charter but it does not produce any events. The Parks and Recreation Dept. has taken over many events that used to be produced by the CVB and will determine which events they will continue to produce.

The Water Way Cruisers were started by The Development Co.  The CVB agreed to take on the operations for five years with seed money from The Township. However, there has been a steady decline of ridership over the years and they operated at a loss. They are currently getting bids from private groups to operate the cruisers.

Parks & Recreation Dept. representative Angel Nix – Angel discussed the Zika virus and mosquito abatement concerns. On Thursday, March 31st at 7:30pm there will be a free public presentation at McCullough Jr High to better inform everyone about the best ways to reduce the risk of contracting mosquito-borne diseases. The Township works with the County to control the mosquitoes.

Secretary’s Report: Bev Wallery – Minutes from February are on the website.   Mike Arendes motioned to approve the minutes; Kelly Sharer seconded. All approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Ken Schumann- Kelly Sharer motioned to approve the budget for fiscal year 2016. Shanna Davis seconded. All approved.

Woodlands Township Report: John Osborne.  John provided the summary from The  Township BOD meeting and a list of upcoming activities and dates.  National Night Out has been changed to August this year so there is more daylight and the kids will not be in school.

Old/Recurring Business:

Parks & Recreation Advisory Council: Michael Saucier.  Representatives from the neighborhood of Trace Creek met with the developer of Woodlands Reserve and the Township regarding a planned pathway connecting the two communities and determined it was not necessary or desired. Kelly Sharer made the motion to have Michael Saucier be our ISVA liason with Parks & Recreation. Jim Merritt seconded. All approved. 

Magazine Article: Kelly Sharer will put an article in the magazine regarding ISVA’s donations to the elementary schools.

RDRC – Ken Schumann and Russ Heinen. RDRC is working on how to handle VRBO’s (Vacation Rentals By Owner) and other short term rentals in residences. They are also addressing water conservation/storage at residences.

New Business:

Scholarship Committee – Applications are available at the area high schools for graduating seniors. The deadline is Monday, March 21st. The committee will read the applications on Sunday 4/3 from 7 to 9pm.

Montgomery County Women’s Center – Mike Arendes motioned to establish a named scholarship to the Montgomery County Women’s Center. Unrestricted funds from the ISVA budget will be used. Jim Merritt seconded the motion. All approved.

Green Up – Please volunteer if you are available.  4/9/16

Flea Market – Please volunteer if you are available. 4/9/16

Village Association Service Agreement – Mike Arendes will work with Ken Schumann to complete this agreement and the related financial statements.

Michael Saucier motioned for Matt Nichols to join the Indian Springs Village Assoc. Matt Pounders seconded. All approved.

At  8:46pm, Jim Merritt motioned to adjourn the meeting;  Russ Heinen seconded.

Next Meeting: April 12, 2016 at 7:00 pm at The Town Hall building public meeting space. 

Copyright © 2017 Indian Springs Village Association - All Rights Reserved

Powered by DyKIDo! from DooWooWoo, LLC